Basic Baking and Pastry Skills
In this practical course students will develop the fundamental skills and techniques of baking and pastry. Students will produce a variety of baked goods and pastry items. Emphasis will be placed on the foundations of essential skills and knowledge required to contribute as an effective team member in a professional kitchen.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
1. Apply safety and sanitation procedures in a professional food service kitchen to plan and organize a designated work station;
2. select and correctly use the appropriate tools and equipment for the required task;
3. correctly weigh, measure and scale ingredients for a recipe using bakers percentage and the metric system to meet designated production requirements;
4. interpret recipes, make any changes necessary to utilize given baking recipe and follow appropriate work sequences;
5. describe the function and application for a variety of common baking ingredients;
6. exhibit professionalism and participate effectively as a team member, accepting responsibility for tasks and functions contributing to group performance within the bake lab.
About this course
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Learn to create and edit Microsoft Word documents.
- Learn about the Ribbon.
- Learn about the File tab.
- Learn to create new documents and use Word templates.
- Learn to format Word documents.
- Learn to add page numbers, headers and footers, and spell and grammar check documents.